A 2009 study published by the American Chemistry Society (ACS) found on average, dental amalgam can lose up to 95% of its mercury content over time. Where does all this mercury go? Some of it gets excreted, but no level of exposure to this toxic compound can be considered safe. The health risks are serious. The amalgam removal process releases mercury vapor into your mouth, which, if absorbed, increases the levels of mercury in your blood, brain, and urine. These levels can produce harmful effects on the nervous, digestive and immune systems, lungs, and kidneys and may be fatal. Damaged fillings release even more mercury in your body than intact fillings.